There are many reasons you might be looking to cancel your Netflix subscription, whether you’re trying to cut down your monthly costs, or are switching to another TV streaming service entirely. With the rise of Disney Plus and Apple TV Plus, too, more alternatives are appearing all the time.
If you’ve tried Netflix out for free or simply able to quit on the service altogether, it’s relatively straightforward to cancel Netflix. It’s easy to cancel your Netflix account subscription, and we’ll walk you through the steps to do it on a platform of your choosing.
Before Canceling Netflix Subscription
Before canceling Netflix account, you would possibly need to create a note of your watch list. Long-time users of Netflix may have a curated list of movies, series and documentaries they want to watch and they would probably hate to lose this list just because of account cancellation.
Backing up your watch list is easy – just write down the names on the list or better yet, take a screenshot. This way, if you’re switching to another service, or returning to Netflix later, you’ll have several hand-picked titles to start watching and knock off your watch list.
1. How To Cancel Netflix Online Via Your Browser
Here is how you can cancel your Netflix account subscription online via your browser. Follow these steps below.
- Log in to your Netflix account and select a non-kids profile.
- Click on your portrait in the right-hand corner and go to “Account.”
- You’ll see “Cancel membership” under the Membership & Billing section. Click on it.
- Click “Finish Cancellation” to cancel your Netflix membership.
2. Cancel Via Google Play on Android
Similar to its policy for the App Store, Netflix does not allow new or reactivated subscribers to pay via Google Play to avoid the 30% commission charged by Google. But existing subscribers have to cancel the Netflix subscription via Google Play itself.
- Go to the ‘Google Play’ app on your Android device.
- Tap the Menu icon
- Select ‘Subscriptions’ from the menu.
- Select ‘Netflix’ from the list
- Tap on ‘Cancel Subscription’. You might have to confirm it once more.
3. Cancel Via iTunes on iPhone or IPad
Netflix does not allow new accounts and reactivated accounts to be billed through iTunes to avoid paying the Apple Tax – commission that is paid to apps being billed through iTunes for subscriptions linked to your Apple ID. But if you are already subscribed and being billed via iTunes, you can at least cancel the Netflix monthly recurring subscription.
- Go to the ‘Settings’ on your iOS device.
- Go to the ‘iTunes and App Store’ section
- Tap on your ‘Apple ID’ at the top of the screen.
- Choose ‘View Apple ID’ from the options that pop up. It may prompt you for your Apple ID password, or use Touch ID or Face ID to authenticate you.
- You are now in your Account Settings. Tap on ‘Subscriptions’.
- Netflix should be listed here as one of your active subscriptions. Tap it to look at details then hit ‘Cancel Subscription’.
That’s it! As seen on the website, you should see the exact date till which you can access Netflix services even after cancellation. Beyond that date, your account is truly closed.
If you don’t see the choice to cancel your account here, you are enrolled in Netflix through a third-party. You should see information on the page concerning who is billing you for Netflix, like your Smart TV provider or iTunes. If you see a company listed, contact that company directly to cancel billing.
If you found this article helpful, you might like this new Flarebeans article: How to Hide Apps on iPhone?